My Debt Free Life: Frugal Recipes


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






Frugality

Extra Income, Part 2

Generating Extra Income

QUESTION OF THE DAY

My Journey to Freedom



Sunday, October 07, 2007
Frugal Recipes
There's a lot to be said for convenience, particularly in this day and age when everyone seems to be living in the fast lane. However, saving money (and at times a great deal of money) is oftentimes more of a motivator. I have found that although I may be tempted to buy a packet of pizza dough mix for $.78, I can make my own for around $.10 - $.15. This may not sound like a great deal of money, but if I can save that amount of money on many items I have found a way to substantially save on my grocery budget.

Last week, I posted a 1 week menu with a total cost for 7 dinners of $26 and change. Below are some of those recipes:

1) Homemade Pizza Dough:
3/4 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. butter/oil (I use the "fake" butter - the Parkay spray/fat free and have NOT noticed a difference in taste)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 c. bread flour (when using all-purpose or self-rising, the taste is AWFUL)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. yeast

You can use a bread machine for this, setting it for dough only. Place the wet ingredients in the bowl, then the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork. Let the dough rise (anywhere from 10-30 minutes). I like to roll the dough out with a rolling pin; it seems to work better. The dough will be somewhat stretchy. There is enough for 2-3 medium pizzas, or several calzones. If you have enough left over, you can use it for the topping on the Chicken Pot Pie.

2) Chicken Pot Pie Crust - I use the same dough recipe (#1).

3) Homemade Condensed Soup Mix (this is used in the Tuna & Rice dish, as well as the Chicken Pot Pie):
Non-fat dry milk (about 1 c.)
Chicken powder or bouillon (about 2 tsp.)
Spices (you can use basil, salt, pepper - I use whatever I have handy in the cupboard)
Cornstarch (about 1/4 c.)

Mix the above ingredients, then place in pan on stove with water. Start with about 1 1/2 c. water on medium heat. Mixture will thicken and if too thick you can add more water. It should be the consistency of store-bought condensed soup. If it is too runny, you can add more cornstarch (HINT: I've learned from experience that if you add cornstarch after adding water, you'll get clumps. You should put a little cornstarch in a separate cup, mix in about 1-2 tsp. of cold water, stir, then add this to your mixture).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home