My Debt Free Life: Keeping Up With the Jones'


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






Treasure Hunting at Goodwill

The Lost Art of Paper Doll Making

Neighborhood Bring and Barter

Make “Frugal” Your New Family Game

Your Recipes Wanted

Frugal Recipes

Frugality

Extra Income, Part 2

Generating Extra Income

QUESTION OF THE DAY



Friday, October 12, 2007
Keeping Up With the Jones'
By Lynn Forgy

Ah, this is the life. Living in a house that isn't paid for, driving a car that belongs to the bank, wearing clothes that were purchased by our "friend" Mr. Plastic, eating at restaurants courtesy of Mrs. MasterCard, taking our children to every conceivable activity with the help of Mr. Visa. Why do we do this to ourselves? Who are we trying to impress? Does anyone think anymore of us simply by having "things"? Granted, there are some out there who wouldn't give you the time of day unless you were wearing all the right clothes and driving the right vehicle. However, I think that we need to constantly remind ourselves that we are not living for those people. As Christians, we are called to not be of this world - we are to live as visitors.

I must admit, I struggle with this a lot, although not as much as in the past. I know that to be someone that I can live with, my focus must be on things other than the material. For example, when I watch a reality show that is all about money, and what money has bought for these people, I notice that I start feeling the desire to go shopping - I must have new clothes! What was I thinking wearing a shirt that I've had for 2 years?? And these shoes? And the list goes on, and on, and on.

One of the ways I have begun to deal with this is to watch less television, of course (which in another way saves you money by using less electricity - what a great motivation!). I also quit going to department stores or the mall for new clothes and every other thing contained in those places. I can't even look at the labels of name brand clothing in those stores without calculating how many weeks of groceries equals one new outfit.

Little by little, I am learning to live within my means. To do this, I have to constantly tell myself that the Jones' I may want to try to keep up with or emulate are fictional - they live in THE LAND OF CREDIT, a place in which I definitely do not want to live. Material objects are just that, and what's more, when we leave here they are not something we can take with us. I think I would rather leave my family and community with something that matters - rather than the knowledge that I spent my life attaining the unrealistic quest for the life of the Jones'.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home