My Debt Free Life: When I Tithe...


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






A Word to the Wise

Debt Tracker - UPDATE

How to Find Mystery Shopping Companies

Rising Cost of Food

Free Gas Anyone?

Frugal Living

Pay Per Post

The Budget Blues

Income Ideas

Pay Per Post



Monday, August 11, 2008
When I Tithe...
By Lynn Forgy

I used to think that I was an anomoly - but since beginning my journey to debt freedom, I have met others with similar experiences. I'm referring to what happens when I tithe. It seems like the more I give, the more I get. I know that "it's more blessed to give than to receive", and that what I get doesn't necessarily always mean money. But it is amazing to me that when I tithe, my budget always works out, I haven't missed a payment, and I can usually put extra towards my debt snowball.

When I first began getting serious about not having any debt, I was taking a Crown Financial class. One of the classes had us making a budget for homework. I kept that piece of paper, too, by the way. When I look at it now, I think "How in the world did I even manage to feed my family?" But at that time, I always had money to pay my bills, and there was almost always a little something extra to put towards my debt. The thing was, though, that I gave to God what was his in the first place, and I did this before paying anything else. I was happier with my life, too.

To be honest, since I bought my house almost 3 years ago, my tithe hasn't been the 10% that it was in my "poor" days. Oh, it's usually around 5% which I guess isn't bad, but I know I should be giving the full 10%. And I don't think I'm as happy with my life as I was then. Perhaps one could say it's the stress of owning a home, the repairs, knowing that a job is necessary because to miss one paycheck would mean certain disaster. I don't really mean that type of happy, though. It's more of a feeling of knowing that I know the right thing to do, and almost disregarding what I'm supposed to do because I can't trust that God would provide for me.

So this, too, is one of my goals: to increase my tithing to 10% again.

An example from several years ago, again during my poor era, should illustrate what I mean. I had just spent all the money I had on bills and groceries, and I had one small bill (around $20) that I had to pay within the next couple of days. I wasn't due to receive a paycheck within that time period, and I was stressing about how I was going to pay this small bill. Granted, the amount was small and probably wouldn't have made much difference in the grand scheme of things. But I don't want to ignore my responsibilities, purposefully be late on a payment, etc. I think it was the day before the bill was due, and I was obsessing over this $20 bill. I came home, and per my usual custom got out to get the mail. Guess what was in there! A check to me for $20!!

I know that God will take care of me, but sometimes I have a hard time with that.

Increasing my tithe to 10% is my goal, as is paying off the remaining $4500 that I owe (student loan).
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home