My Debt Free Life: Rising Cost of Food


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






Free Gas Anyone?

Frugal Living

Pay Per Post

The Budget Blues

Income Ideas

Pay Per Post

Surveys / Extra Money

The Debt I've Paid

Too Much Month at the End of the Money

Goal Update



Friday, July 11, 2008
Rising Cost of Food
By Lynn Forgy

The rising costs at the grocery store have definitely put a damper on my menu planning. No longer can I plan to add potatoes to 3 meals - a 5 pound bag is $6!! That's crazy! Milk is $5 per gallon. Everything is going up. What's a person to do? I've been pondering this issue for the past few weeks, trying to re-work my menus because the items I was using have gone up so much and it's wreaking havoc on my food budget.

This is particularly frustrating for me because I am trying to put all my extra money towards my DEBT SNOWBALL. Not only do I have less to throw at the snowball due to gas prices, but now with the grocery costs rising I have even less to pay on debt.

My dilemma - I have $XX for groceries for the remainder of the month. (Yes, that's less than $100). I have 17 dinner meals I need to plan that I can buy for that amount of money. Ah, nothing like a financial challenge...

Suggestion #1 - At Walmart, in the freezer section are bags of vegetables, seasoned and ready to eat (after you heat them of course). I can get a bag for less than $2, which will feed 3 people for 1 meal. Great, right? Except my 14 year old despises most of the vegetables that come in one of these handy little bags. Perhaps if I add a little cheese sauce? Cost = $2.00 per meal = $4.00

Suggestion #2 - Cheese sandwiches and hash browns for 2 meals. Cheese slices I can get for about $2.50 (the healthier version), and a bag of shredded hash browns for $1.60. Cost = $2.85 per meal = $5.70

And this is where my brain just freezes up. My fallback has always been potatoes, but now that the price has risen so much I can't use them as much as I would like. Rice is good, I suppose. But one can't eat just plain rice.

Any suggestions?????

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Rice can be easily flavored up--google for spanish rice recipes..my kids love it... Also you can simply add chicken broth, or beef broth. We also occaisionally use egg noodles cooked in broth as a side dish, add some butter and they are fulfilling too. Another thought is pasta dishes, homemade macaroni, ranch flavored pasta, or any other dressing on pasta--throw in some tiny peas, pepporoni, shredded carrots... and you get a nice pasta dish. Hope these help!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home