My Debt Free Life: Homeschool v. Private School


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






Goal Update

Cash Discounts

Pinching Pennies

Mac and Cheese, Please

Saving Money in the Kitchen

Mystery shopping and other income injections

The Frugal Life

More on Frugal Cleaning

Frugal Cleaning

Frugal Dinner Menu



Saturday, February 02, 2008
Homeschool v. Private School
By Lynn Forgy

Dave Ramsey would probably have been not too happy to learn that for the past 3 years, and on my meager income, I sent my daughter to a private school. The reason: I felt that she would do better, both academically and socially, in a private school rather than a public school.

Because I am buckling down on my expenses, cutting costs right and left, I have decided that private school is not a luxury that we can afford at this time. I was paying per year the same amount, if not more, that it would cost for my daughter to attend college.

Therefore, I am taking the plunge and have decided to homeschool for 9th grade. I have just started researching the curriculum and resources that are available. I think that one could easily spend as much if not more on homeschooling that you would spend at a private school. But I do have a budget that I must stick to, so it is very important that I not splurge.

The internet is a plethora of information, free resources, groups, etc. which can be used to help with homeschooling. The problem I am running into is with the 2 subjects I fear most: Math and Science. I admit, I had to retake Alegebra twice before I passed it (in college) and Science was never a fun subject for me. I have found only 2 curriculum providers that offer these 2 subjects on DVD - at a cost of approximately $300 each. That seems to me very high, and believe that there must be more selections out there that are cost-effective yet provide a great learning experience.

As a new homeschooling parent, I would welcome any and all comments, suggestions, and advice. Please email me using the link on the top right of my blog.
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home