My Debt Free Life: Saving Money in the Kitchen


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






Mystery shopping and other income injections

The Frugal Life

More on Frugal Cleaning

Frugal Cleaning

Frugal Dinner Menu

A Diet of Sorts

Organic?

When I Was Hungry

I Am Not Alone

The New Year and Resolutions



Sunday, January 20, 2008
Saving Money in the Kitchen
By Lynn Forgy

One of the most effective ways I have of saving money is in the kitchen. I make a grocery list every week, with all the meals planned out and listing the ingredients needed, and this is my starting point - I know before I go the grocery approximately how much my meals for that week will cost.



Another obsession of mine is making "knock off" recipes. For instance, rather than buying Eagle Brand condensed milk (nothing against that brand, I think it's delicious, just a little overpriced), I have a recipe that allows the frugal cook to make condensed milk and save some money (Recipe below).

I have put together a 3 ring binder of recipes, frugal and healthy concoctions that more often than not are really good! I use this every week to plan my menu for the upcoming seven day period. If I'm running low on funds (due to an unexpected expense, causing me to reduce my grocery budget), I take away 1 of the more "expensive" meals (over $3) and replace it with a cheaper meal ($1). Mac and Cheese is a family favorite, and can be extremely cheap and more healthy than the convenience box you buy at the grocery. Adding peas and chicken or tuna to your homemade mac & cheese (pasta, milk, fat free butter, and lowfat cheese) will make a complete meal and cost about $2.



Although it takes a little time, planning your menu before you go to the grocery can save money. Every little bit helps.

Courtesy of Allrecipes.com:
HOMEMADE CONDENSED MILK:

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup boiling water
* 1/4 cup margarine
* 2 cups white sugar
* 4 cups nonfat dry milk powder


DIRECTIONS

1. Pour boiling water into blender container. Add margarine and sugar. Blend until combined. Add the dry milk powder 1 cup at a time, blending after each addition. Store in refrigerator and use where a recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, 1 1/3 cups equals one 14 ounce can.
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home