My Debt Free Life: Mac and Cheese, Please


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






Saving Money in the Kitchen

Mystery shopping and other income injections

The Frugal Life

More on Frugal Cleaning

Frugal Cleaning

Frugal Dinner Menu

A Diet of Sorts

Organic?

When I Was Hungry

I Am Not Alone



Monday, January 21, 2008
Mac and Cheese, Please
By Lynn Forgy:

A family favorite is homemade mac & cheese. With a few adjustments and tweaks, you can make this is a frugal, and healthy, meal for your family.



Mac & Cheese:


1 box of pasta (I like to use the smaller shells because the cheese tends to stick better), you can use whole wheat version which is healthier

Boil the pasta. Drain the water, then add:

1/2 cup milk (I use the nonfat dry milk because the price of a gallon of milk is almost $5 now),

1/4 cup butter (I use the fat free, Parkay spray which is $1.00 per bottle and 1/4 cup is about 1/4 of the bottle - you could try the "butter" made with olive oil but I think Parkay tastes the best)

Cheese - depending on how cheesy you like it, anywhere from 1 to 2 cups. Again, I use the low fat or fat free cheese (the shredded fat free cheese is $3.12, so that's a little pricey for mac & cheese). Some suggestions on cheese - use a variety (cheddar, mozzarella, etc.) and slices work just as well if not better.

One recipe I have calls for all of the above, plus 1-2 cups of sour cream which makes it really creamy.

I have also used the above recipe, and rather than sour cream I have added cottage cheese.

To make this more of a meal, you could add peas, and/or chicken or tuna.

I spent several weeks about 6 months ago researching low fat, frugal, healthy recipes and although it took some time I think I'm saving a lot of money each week on my grocery budget.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home