My Debt Free Life: Freegan


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






Frugal Links

Splurging

This Week's Frugal Dinner Menu

Making Ends Meet

Cutting Back

One of Life's Struggles

More on Mystery Shops

Steady Plodding

Beginning of the Month Budget

Homeschool v. Private School



Sunday, March 09, 2008
Freegan
By Lynn Forgy

I LOVE getting things for free, and I even think I like being frugal (some people would say cheap, but frugal sounds much better). I got an email last week about a new subculture - the FREEGAN.

What? Is that like a Vegan, was my first thought. I searched the internet, and About.com defines freeganism as "an anti-consumerist movement. It takes issue with society's focus on buying new and throwing away old (but still useful) items. In the simplest terms, freeganism is a reaction against the waste of resources. Participants, known as "freegans," have two main goals: to buy as little as possible and to use only what they need."



If you would like more information from About.com, click here.

Some of the common actions of a Freegan include:
  • Dumpster diving
  • Curb shopping
  • Bartering or trading
  • Foraging for wild food
  • Sharing
  • Gardening
It sounds good, but I don't know if I could forage in a dumpster for food - I guess it depends on which dumpster :) I have, however, gone "curb shopping" in the past, and in fact highly recommend it. I have found great stuff just sitting on the curb, discarded by its current owner. I've seen furniture of course, including couches, dressers, TVs, etc. You name it, someone, somewhere will be throwing it away.

As for the dumpster diving, I have long wanted to attempt this feat. Perhaps this summer I'll make a go of it.

If there are any Freegans out there, send us an email or link to your blog letting us know how you do it!
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home