My Debt Free Life: Lessons I've Learned


Get Paid to Read Emails

Another Way to Get Paid to Read Emails!

Get Paid for Your Opinion

Search & Win

Subscribe in a reader

PPP Direct



Check out our new YouTube video at the bottom of this page!



Virtual Assistant

Simply Clean

*NEW: 3 Peas In a Pod






Google It!
 




Send Email





UPDATED JAN. 2011:
Baby Emergency Fund $1,000 - Completed December 2010


Personal Loan: $1,400

Credit Card #1: $1,697

Credit Card #2: $800






Calculating Electricity Costs

Electricity costs

Extra Income

Murphy & Me

Pantry Challenge

Update on Debt Snowball

Blog Carnival

Budget Friendly Meal Planning

Freegan

Frugal Links



Sunday, May 04, 2008
Lessons I've Learned
By Lynn Forgy

I have been on my journey to debt freedom, fully committed, for almost 8 months. In that time, I have paid off my credit card (Home Depot - $3500), paid up front to have the basement bathroom finished and stairs added to the deck, paid $2,000 to the dentist for a root canal and crown and a couple of fillings, and almost have my car paid off. It has been far from easy - I'm tired most of the time from working 3 jobs (1 full time and 2 part time), I'm grumpy, and sometimes I can hardly stand wearing the same clothes that I have had in my closet for over a year. I have learned a lot, though, about what I can do once I fix a goal for myself. I've learned a few lessons along the way as well.

Lesson #1 - Homemade Deodorant - A couple of months ago, I thought it would be a great way to save money if I made my own deodorant. Big mistake!! I developed a rash, which hurt - A LOT! Needless to say, I have discontinued this method of saving money and will spend the $1 or $2 for the factory made deodorant.

Lesson #2 - Menus - Planning meals for a month at a time saves not only time, but money as well. If I spend an hour planning the meals for one month and an hour at the grocery, I'm saving about 2-3 hours per month (going to the grocery once per week) AND I don't spend as much money.

Lesson #3 - Workaholic-ism - I'm not sure if that's a word, but if not it should be. I have found that the more I think about paying off my debt, the more I work. Not only that, but when I assign mystery shops to myself I sometimes take on more than I should. For example, yesterday I completed 9 shops - for a total of 8 hours. I was exhausted when I got home, plus I had a headache. Then I had to complete all the online reports for the shops, which took another couple of hours.

Lesson #4 - Prayer and God - I have been working a lot lately, and not going to church as much as I should or as much as I need to, nor am I praying as much as I used to. I focus too much on the money and not enough on God. There's a verse in the Bible that I sometimes find "by accident", on a frequent basis. The verse says something like 'You spend all your time and effort on building your own house rather than My [God's] house'. I haven't been able to reach that balance yet; with me it's always all or nothing. Maybe that's the next lesson I need to learn...
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home